Tofu (bean curd) is made from soy milk and pressed into blocks for packaging. With the ever growing popularity of vegetarian dishes, tofu has become a staple in wide variety of dishes beyond traditional Asian cuisine.
Tofu is high in protein and iron while low in calories and fat. Being bland by itself, tofu takes on the flavor of the spices and other ingredients it is cooked with which make it versatile and the perfect substitute for meat.
For this recipe, we have used extra firm tofu so it more closely represents ground beef, but if you prefer, you can use a less stiff form.
1lb. extra firm tofu
1 pkg. McCormick Original Taco Seasoning
3/4 cup water
12 crunchy corn taco shells
2 cups Cheddar cheese
1/2 small head lettuce
- Chop tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the tofu for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Continue with a low boil, stirring occasionally until the water is reduced to almost nothing.
- While water is reducing, preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Place the crunchy taco shells onto the wire oven rack. Heat shells for about 5 minutes.
- Chop your tomatoes, onion, and lettuce while waiting for everything to finish cooking.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy with a slice of avocado.