Using a pre-heated cast iron skillet gives this moist and sweet cornbread a beautiful golden crust. This recipe is designed for a 12” cast iron skillet. If using a smaller skillet, use remaining batter to make cornbread muffins.
¾ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup white sugar
1¾ cup buttermilk*
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1½ cup corn meal
1½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375˚ and place a seasoned 12” cast iron skillet inside.
- Melt butter in microwave (approximately 40 – 45 seconds). Once melted, combine with white sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs in small bowl, then thoroughly combine with butter mixture.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk and add to mixing bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, flour and salt together in a separate bowl, and then slowly stir into wet ingredients. Combine thoroughly to form a thick batter. (If batter is too thick, add additional buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve desired consistency).
- Carefully remove preheated skillet from oven with potholders or oven mitts, and pour prepared batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter to an even depth.
- Return to oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until top is a golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
* You can substitute ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons milk and 1cup + 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt for the buttermilk. Thoroughly combine milk and yogurt in separate bowl before adding.