This delicious dish comes from India and can be done and waiting for you by the time you get home from work.
2 tbsp. ghee (or butter)
1 medium onion (finely diced)
3 cloves fresh minced garlic
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1-10.75 oz. can (~½ cup) tomato puree
1-15.5 oz. can of black lentils (rinsed)
8oz (around half a can) of rinsed, dark red kidney beans
½ cup water
¼ cup cream
¼ cup whole Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. curry powder or garam masala
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
- Turn your slow cooker on and set to sauté or high and begin to melt the ghee (or butter) adding to them to the onion and three cloves of garlic.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste (or if you do not have that, use one teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 tsp. of ginger powder).
- Then add the tomato puree.
- Now add the black lentils (can be substituted with green or red lentils) and the dark red kidney beans.
- To this, add your spice mixture of curry or garam masala, salt and sugar. Stir in water and cream.
- Set your slow cooker to low and allow this to simmer for about 7 hours.
- After 7 hours add 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt and give everything a good stir.
To make this recipe vegan, substitute the cream and Greek yogurt with one half cup of coconut milk.
You can serve your Dal Makhani over brown rice, or with some homemade or store bought naan flatbread (Target carries Stonefire brand, which is quite delicious).
Homemade naan will take about 1 hour and you can use this recipe from Well Plated- https://www.wellplated.com/homemade-naan/#wprm-recipe-container-63251