Warm out of the oven, these scones melt in your mouth. With nutty and raisiny surprises in every bite, and the pleasant tang of orange and ginger. These scones might just be the best you’ve ever tasted!
Feel free to omit any ingredients per your preference and dietary needs if necessary.
For the scones:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup roasted cashews (unsalted)
For the glaze:
3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and ginger. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Let frozen butter thaw slightly. Then use a serrated knife to chop into small pieces. If you have a box grater handy you can also use this to grate the butter into small bits.
- Add butter pieces to the flour mixture and mix with your hands until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and yogurt and mix well. Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture.
- Use your hands to mix together the dough and form it into a ball. Mix in raisins and cashews.
- As soon as dough is well formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a 7-inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick, and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place each triangle on the sheet leaving 1 to 2 inches between.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- While scones are cooling, whisk together ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle over the scones. Enjoy.