Homemade hummus is a great option for the foodies that want to make their own special versions of this versatile dip. Wondering how to make hummus at home? Use a blender! Here’s a few quick reasons to make hummus from scratch using a blender:
- It’s fast and easy to prepare.
- It’s a very budget-friendly meal or snack option.
- It’s a party pleaser and crowd favorite.
- Little kids love hummus because they love dipping and tasting.
- If made right, hummus is loaded with protein and healthy fat.
- When you make hummus at home, you control the ingredients and flavors.
- Hummus doesn’t spoil as easily as mayo-based dips.
- Hummus goes great with healthy sides, like cut-up veggies and whole-grain crackers, pita crisps or baked chips.
You may be wondering if you need a special blender to make hummus at home because sometimes it’s difficult to make hummus and other thick purees, like bean dips, in the blender. Usually in order to make the blender blade spin, you end up needing more water than is necessary to get that perfect spreadable consistency. The high-powered Chefman Personal Ultimate Kitchen Blender is the best blender (and just the right size) for whipping up a quick batch of hummus.
Basic Hummus Recipe
1 8-oz can chickpeas, drained
2 tbsp. tahini (sesame paste)
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. lemon juice
One clove fresh garlic (or use garlic powder – about 2 tsp. will work)
1 tbsp. water
2 tbsps. fresh herbs such as parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Add all ingredients to your blender. Secure base. Blend until the consistency is to your liking.
- Makes enough dip to fill a soup bowl.
- Serve with sliced veggies, whole grain crackers or bread. Healthy, delicious and cheap!