¼ cup of butter
½ cup of light brown sugar, packed tightly
1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3 firm bananas, sliced
¼ cup of rum (light or dark)
1 quart of vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir until all the sugar melts.
- Add the sliced bananas and rum and stir to blend.
- Cook for 3 or 4 minutes until the bananas are warm.
- Scoop ice cream into individual serving bowls and top with the bananas and sauce.
Serve at once.
Note: Traditionally the bananas are sliced in half and then vertically, but you can simply slice them into bite size rounds. Also, once the rum is hot, you can remove the skillet from the burner and set fire to the rum to remove the alcohol content but leave the flavor. Since it’s such a small amount, we don’t bother with this step.