This basic recipe serves as a perfect blank canvas for whatever you want to pair with it. This risotto is creamy and subtle on its own or dress up with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, or peas.
5 cups chicken stock, divided and heated
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
½ cup dry white wine
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken stock over medium heat.
- In a Dutch oven (or other oven-proof pan with a fitted lid), melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent over medium heat, 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and white wine. Cook for 2 minutes to soften the raw wine taste.
- Add rice and stir with wooden spoon until coated with liquid from pan.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Pop in oven and check after 30 minutes. If a lot of liquid remains, continue cooking in 5 minute increments until excess liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven and stir in remaining cup of stock, Parmesan cheese, and butter.
- Stir vigorously until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir fresh parsley in for added flavor and color.
Pairs beautifully with oven-roasted asparagus drizzled in good extra virgin olive oil and roasted chicken or beef.