1 and ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup butter, softened
1 and ¾ cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup milk
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease cake pan.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Cream the butter and gradually add in the sugar, vanilla, eggs in separate bowl.
- Mix in the flour and the milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Add in the boiling water and stir.
- Pour the batter in the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes. When the cake is ready, a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and remove cake from pan. Place cake on a wire rack and let cool for several minutes.
Frosting and Serving Suggestions
This dark chocolate cake recipe will also go well with a few additions.
You can buy any of your favorite pre-made frosting to frost your cake with. Or you can make your own chocolate frosting creaming butter and icing sugar and adding melted chocolate that has been allowed to cool. To reach desired consistency, you can add a bit of milk.
Decorate your cake further with dark and white chocolate. You can use a peeler to shave off strips of the chocolate bars and places these on the cake. Good quality chocolate can melt quite easily at room temperature so be sure to allow the shavings to be cooled or chilled first before serving.
You can also serve the cake slightly warm and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The taste of vanilla goes well with the intensity of the chocolate cake.
A triple dark chocolate cake can also be made from this dark chocolate cake recipe. Simply use the dark chocolate frosting and add chunks of dark chocolate bars to the cake or add a scoop of dark chocolate ice cream. Enjoy the dessert that will be come out from this dark chocolate cake recipe!