Serving black-eyed peas is a wonderful way to add fiber to your meals and help to reduce cholesterol.
Whether you want to eat healthier foods or just want some good ol’ home cooking, this basic recipe for cooking black-eyed peas will hit the spot.
1lb. bag of dried black-eyed peas
1/4 cup cooking oil
6 to 8 cups cold water
- In a large bowl or pot, place peas, salt, oil, and water. Let soak overnight in pressure cooker approximately 6-8 hours.
- In the morning or when you are ready to cook the peas, drain and replace the water, covering the peas well.
- Place the lid on the cooker and the regulator on the vent. Heat on medium heat, cooking for 20 minutes. If foam begins to come out of the vent, reduce the heat and continue to cook for the remaining time.
- Turn the heat off and let stand until the pressure stops on its own. Once the pressure has dropped, remove the lid and serve
- Optional: Top with bacon bits or stewed tomatoes.